Rafting in Hantang River, South Korea

On Sept 06,2008,  my colleagues and I from the Samsung SE team, decided to go for river rafting at Hantang.

It was a Saturday morning. I woke up at 7 am, packed my stuff hurriedly, and rushed cafeteria to get my breakfast kit. Then I left for K1 bus station to catch the 8:30 bus to YangJae, Seoul. I met Vishu, his wife, and Sandhya at the bus stop. There was an air of excitement.

We met the rest of the Samsung team at exit 2, YangJae, around 9:20 am. We chatted and later boarded the bus to Hantang. It was a long drive, almost 4 hours to reach there. I paid around 38,000 Korea Won as the fee. We had our lunch there. I had a few cup cakes and banana for my lunch. After lunch, I put on shorts and life jacket and we waited for another bus to take us to the destination.

Finally, our chance came and we boarded the bus. Excitement slowly picked up. There was a huge water sliding game to make us experience the actual effect. It was an amazing and thrilling experience. Then our instructor came and we carried the boat to the river. We had few demonstrations and brief talk about the risks and do’s and don’ts. Later we boarded  the boat. We canoed the boat for few meters, when we came across a huge dip. The waves were splashing directly on us. The boat was moving rapidly to and fro. It was a wonderful feeling to experience the boat being toyed to and fro against the waves. We came out of the turbulent waters and canoed for some more time, when we again came across the turbulent waves. There were 5 such turbulent spots. Each time, the boat was tossed like a toy. We held the rope firmly to avoid being slipped away by the strong currents. It was an exciting moment. It’s the kind of feeling that is similar to an accident experience. You’re flung like a toy. That’s the actual thrill of the rafting.

The scenery was breathtaking. Both the sides were huge mountains and we passed right through the middle of the mountains. The sky was clear and light blue. There was a gentle breeze as we canoed through the stream. It was a wonderful experience and worth every penny. On the way back, we stopped at 2 places which was beautiful beyond description.

We rafted for about two and half hours. It was 5 PM when we finished. We changed our clothes and boarded the bus to Seoul, reached YangJae at 8:30 pm. I had some snacks and chocolates on the way, took the Samsung bus from exit 7 and reached home at 9:30 pm. I had delicious chicken curry and rice and later slept off at around 11 pm. Next day morning, woke up for another exciting adventure – Trip to office 🙂

About Abeesh Thomas

A Writer, Entrepreneur and Worshiper
This entry was posted in Adventure, Memoirs of South Korea and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.